Historic Blenheim House, c. 1859
AS OF DECEMBER 24 2020: CURRENTLY CLOSED
Bắn cá bầuPlease note:
- The Civil War Interpretive Center is available for rental for private use. Please make an appointment for rental viewing: 703.385.7858, email@example.com
- Click here to view the Historic Blenheim brochure
Historic Blenheim is a c. 1859 central-hall plan Greek Revival-style brick farmhouse built by Albert Willcoxon just prior to the Civil War (1861-65). It is nationally significant for the voluminous quantity and quality of examples of Civil War inscriptions. More than 122 signatures, pictographs, games, and thoughts were left on the house walls by Union soldiers during their occupation of the Fairfax Court House area in 1862-63. This "diary on walls" provides insight into typical soldier life and extends to the effect of this war on local residents--such as the Willcoxon family--and free and enslaved people of African descent.
Civil War Interpretive Center
The Gallery with replica attic in the Civil War Interpretive Center is open Tuesday - Saturday, 11 a.m. to 3 p.m.
In the Gallery, wall inscriptions and pictographs from the house are reproduced with full-scaled photographs in the replica attic. Click here to read a list of soldiers' names.
The gallery also includes an illustrated timeline of Civil War events, artifacts that interpret the everyday soldier, biographies of several of the wall signers, information about the family and enslaved residents, and temporary displays.
Our multi-purpose room features videos of the house graffiti. We also hold monthly Civil War-related programs (currently virtual) . The gift shop stocks books, children's toys and games, replica items, and souvenirs related to the Civil War and Fairfax history.
Cannon drawing in Attic / Soldiers' Signatures in Blenheim House attic
Historic Blenheim is part of the Virginia Civil War Trails and the Northern Virginia Civil War Graffiti Trails. Download and print a brochure: Graffiti Trail Brochure side 1 and Graffiti Trail Brochure side 2
Guided Tour of Historic Blenheim House: The house is temporarily closed. Once it reopens, the house will again be available for viewing during the guided tours offered at 1 p.m. Tuesday through Saturday. The tour is of the first floor of the historic house and historic features around the site. Meet in the Civil War Interpretive Center. The Historic House fully accessible.
Group Tours: Currently suspended.
Bắn cá bầuPrivate guided tours for adult groups and educational programs for students are available for a fee. All tours for eight or more people are tailored for group needs, educational standards, and interests. Tours require advanced reservations. To arrange group educational programs or tours of Historic Blenheim, please call Andrea Loewenwarter at 703.591.0560 or 703.591.6728.
On the grounds of the Historic Blenheim estate is Grandma's CottageBắn cá bầu, which dates to c. 1840. It was occupied for much of its history by Margaret Conn Willcoxon Farr, the sister of Albert Willcoxon, owner of the Willcoxon farm (later named "Blenheim"). Margaret Farr is buried in the Blenheim cemetery along with her husband, brother, parents, and grandmother.
The cottage is importantBắn cá bầu for its combination of log-wall construction and rare hewn timber framing with brick infill between the studs in the c. 1840 left portion of the house. A log cabin, of unknown date was connected to the 2-story house in 1867. It has been moved twice: in 1962 from its original location at the corner of Old Lee Highway and Route 236/Main Street to Old Lee Highway near Layton Hall Drive, from which it was moved to the Blenheim estate in 2001 after being donated to the city by local descendants of Margaret Farr.
The City of Fairfax is committed to the letter and spirit of the Americans with Disabilities Act. To request a reasonable accommodation, call 703.385.8414 or 703.591.0560.
Bắn cá bầuFollow us on social media: